SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Oddball memory usage?
- To: Peter Hardy <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Oddball memory usage?
- From: Steve Kowalik <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +1100
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Wanderlust/2.14.0 (Africa) XEmacs/21.4 (Constant Variable)
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:16:04 +1100, Peter Hardy uttered
> I'm a little puzzled by this:
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 5005084 4816352 188732 0 156644 3165540
> -/+ buffers/cache: 1494168 3510916
> Swap: 1052616 1052616 0
> Is this sort of usage normal? Filling a gigabyte of swap space while
> just under 1.5GB of memory is going towards buffers seems odd to me. And
> vmstat reports no usage of this swap space over a 15 minute period.
I might be barking up the wrong tree, but do you have one or more
tmpfs'es that are full of files? tmpfs is swap-backed RAM, which neatly
explains the completly full swap, and also the fact that vmstat doesn't
report any swapping at all.
"E-mail is for geeks and paedophiles."
- Sebastian, Cruel Intentions