Re: [SLUG] Should I host my own domain?

G'day guys,

I'm actually doing a similar thing but I' m actually on a Dynamic IP
(iiNet).  What you'll find is that there are nasty hacky ways to deal
with that (like DynDNS)... but if your IP cycles fast it goes out to the
corner and sulks for a while, blocking you out and making you have to
send a nice "I'm sorry for spamming your servers with IP updates without
thinking about it," while quietly planning an eloquent revenge against
whichever demonic entity at the ISP is actually responsible (and is no
doubt cackling like the back row of an art class huffing the drugs in
copious amounts).

The long and short, if you choose iiNet (or ADSL/Cable providers who
switch on reconnect), there are friendly people like EveryDNS who'll
accept your DNS updates on the hour and *not* kill you.  I'm presently
sharing the love with EveryDNS and they're fine with it.  That, or you
could just get a decent router/modem that supports the update process
for you when your IP changes (which, if you are considering the iiNet
Belkins - they don't even do EveryDNS properly, so don't even try to
hack it up for EveryDNS).

In terms of "noise," nothing beats the 486-reminiscing of hearing a SCSI
RAID whir in the corner (because I'm a poor-student-type its a U160
bought off Grays Online setup of 2x 9.1gb disks in RAID0) on a dual P3
(see previous set of brackets).  Also, there are cupboards and quieter
servers (and if you're feeling really nerdy you get a couple of CF cards
to host all the config/daemons and some old/cheap hdds for logs running
in RAID).

It's no drama, but if you get stuck there are plenty of guides about
(and this list ;)).

Hoo Roo,
Alex Stanley.