SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] tailing, following and filtering
- To: Penedo <penedo@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] tailing, following and filtering
- From: Matthew Hannigan <mlh@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 03:21:21 +1100
- Cc: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- User-agent: Mutt/188.8.131.52i
On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 01:30:50PM +1100, Penedo wrote:
> On 23/11/06, Matthew Hannigan <mlh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 08:23:37AM +1100, Penedo wrote:
> >> On 23/11/06, Howard Lowndes <lannet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> >I want to tail -f the syslog file but I only want to see what I want to
> >> >see and I don't want to see what I don't what to see. The idea is to
> >> >tail follow through a filter. Is that possible.
> >> What's wrong with "tail -f syslog | grep ..."?
> Can you elaborate? It works for me (I mean - I get the output through
> grep as soon as tail wakes up and reads the line).
Yeah, I was a little terse/inaccurate.
One grep is fine, two greps ain't so good.
(tail -f blah | grep wanted | grep -v notwanted)