[SLUG] Setup of acpi to get Suspend/Hibernate Working

Hi all

I'm having trouble getting my laptop to resume after suspend. It's a Dell
Latitude 620 with Intel 945 chipset. I have come across info on how to get suspend
to work on this specific model (Ubuntu forum stuff) and its supposed to work
'out-of-the-box' with just minor tweaks to acpi-support. I have modified this file
according to the info I've found but I can't get the machine to resume. It does enter
suspend, the display fades, hard disk spins down. Pushing the power button
momentarily to resume I can see the hard disk light come on but display remains dark.

I have ACPI OK as its a 2.6.17-2-686 kernel and kernel messages on bootup shows:
  ACPI: Lid Switch [LID]
  ACPI: Power Button (CM) [PBTN]
  ACPI: Sleep Button (CM) [SBTN]
  ACPI wakeup devices:
localhost kernel: LID PBTN PCI0 USB0 USB1 USB2 USB3 EHCI AZAL PCIE RP01 RP02 NIC RP04 RP05 RP06

Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda4 ro vga=791 resume=/dev/hda3
and hda3 is my swap partition.

The file /etc/default/acpi-support is shown in full below.

# Comment the next line to disable ACPI suspend to RAM
ACPI_SLEEP=true

# Comment the next line to disable suspend to disk
ACPI_HIBERNATE=true

# Change the following to "standby" to use ACPI S1 sleep, rather than S3.
# This will save less power, but may work on more machines
ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=mem

# Add modules to this list to have them removed before suspend and reloaded
# on resume. An example would be MODULES="em8300 yenta_socket"
#
# Note that network cards and USB controllers will automatically be unloaded
# unless they're listed in MODULES_WHITELIST
MODULES="ipw3945"

# Add modules to this list to leave them in the kernel over suspend/resume
MODULES_WHITELIST=""

# Should we save and restore state using the VESA BIOS Extensions?
SAVE_VBE_STATE=true

# The file that we use to save the vbestate
VBESTATE=/var/lib/acpi-support/vbestate

# Should we attempt to warm-boot the video hardware on resume?
POST_VIDEO=false

# Save and restore video state?
SAVE_VIDEO_PCI_STATE=true

# Should we switch the screen off with DPMS on suspend?
USE_DPMS=true

# Use Radeontool to switch the screen off? Seems to be needed on some machines
# RADEON_LIGHT=true

# Uncomment the next line to switch away from X and back again after resume.
# This is needed for some hardware, but should be unnecessary on most.
# DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true

# Set the following to "platform" if you want to use ACPI to shut down
# your machine on hibernation
HIBERNATE_MODE=platform

# Comment this out to disable screen locking on resume
#LOCK_SCREEN=true

# Uncomment this line to have DMA disabled before suspend and reenabled
# afterwards
# DISABLE_DMA=true

# Uncomment this line to attempt to reset the drive on resume. This seems
# to be needed for some Sonys
# RESET_DRIVE=true

# Add services to this list to stop them before suspend and restart them in
# the resume process.
STOP_SERVICES="mysql "

# Restart Infra Red services on resume - off by default as it crashes some
# machines
RESTART_IRDA=false

# Switch to laptop-mode on battery power - off by default as it causes odd
# hangs on some machines
ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=false

--
Michael Lake