SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Some Thoughts Regarding Spam
- To: Robert Thorsby <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Some Thoughts Regarding Spam
- From: Ian Wienand <ianw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 12:30:51 +1100
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mutt/1.5.13 (2006-08-11)
On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 11:40:14AM +1100, Robert Thorsby wrote:
> There is also another new one (which is present on a number of
> mailing lists) that commences with an image.
The only ones spamassassin has missed for me lately is a bunch of
stock scam image based ones with random text. I heartily recommend
the FuzzyOcr  plugin, which passes images through gocr and picks
out scam words.
A quick grep shows it has helped flag 200 of the 1100 spams I've
received over the past 2 weeks.
I sometimes wonder if "smart" spammers don't mind these arms wars,
because as we cull each new threat we do the work of reducing their
competition for them ...