[SLUG] Re: [chat] Dual boot problem

Hi Alan

Re-installing grub is exactly the same as installing it. Just update
the grub config with the options for windows, and reinstall it. Have a
look at http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Installing-GRUB-using-grub-install.html
for some more info.

On 8/4/06, Alan L Tyree <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:02:25 +1000
"Menno Schaaf" <amano.ginji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Moving this to SLUG (where it should be...)

I blame it on auto-completion in my mail client :<)

> When you install windows on the second hard drive, it will wipe grub
> off the MBR. You'll need to use a live cd to boot into linux to
> restore grub to the MBR.
>
> The only difference between the single hard drive and dual hard drive
> dual boot will be one letter (hdb instead of hda for windows) or one
> number in the case of grub (hd1, instead of hd0)
>
> It's all very simular.

Thanks Menno. Is there any trick to restoring grub? I haven't dual
booted since god-knows-when and the friend I'm advising is no guru (to
say the least). Anything I need to warn him about?