Re: [SLUG] A Ubuntu/Debian and a grub question

On Thursday 20 July 2006 08:55, slug-request@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> And I'm wondering which menu.lst grub will use to boot from.  Or does
> it look for /boot/grub/menu.lst across all partitions and do a union of
> all the bootable kernels it finds?

Its very plain and clear if you RTM.

grub-install writes a MBR that looks in /boot/grub for the menu.

/boot/grub is this one here unless you use --root-directory

So as a wild example:

mount /dev/hda7 /mnt
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/hda

It uses /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst

It uses that directory even if you boot a system on /dev/hda6 and therefor
booting /dev/hda6 and editing /boot/grub/menu.lst will have no effect!

James