Re: [SLUG] Re: Re: Firewall Device Opinions

Alexander Samad <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> uttered the following thing:

> > I have an Asus WL-500gP. 8Mb Flash and 32Mb DRAM (more than most other
> > openwrt devices). It also has 2 USB ports.
> where did you buy this from ?

I bought it in Europe...not sure if it's available in Aus, though I'd
imagine it should be.

> How has openwrt behaved on this, noticed there are some caveats on it at
> the openwrt site

Very well. The only thing to keep in mind is to change one nvram setting
to make it see the whole 32Mb RAM (most openwrt boxes have 16). Boot
time is about 10 seconds. Upgrading to openwrt (and presumably dd-wrt)
is very easy too - power on whilst holding the restore button, then just
tftp the firmware .bin to its default ip address.

It's really been great having such a tiny Linux box in the house -
partners well with my other (a Dreambox). :)

BB