SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] svnadmin hangs - apparently I need more entropy :-(
- To: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] svnadmin hangs - apparently I need more entropy :-(
- From: Michael Lake <Mike.Lake@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 14:29:41 +1000
- User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 (Windows/20041206)
Michael Lake wrote:
I have 'svnadmin create /var/lib/svn/TheProject' hanging on a Debian
stable box running subversionn 1.1.4. Googling finds that the problem is
that there is not enough entropy and suggests a recompile of I think
I have found it in Debian Bug report logs - #285708 (subversion: svnserve hangs if
little entropy for /dev/random) but this dates from 2004.
It suggesed this:
Perhaps also make rng-tools a suggested package. This solved the problem
for me, but I think it would need a comment as to *why* rng-tools is
suggested. Also, rng-tools won't work on all machines - it needs the
hw_random kernel module or equivalent.
On the server the package rng-tools is available but how do i tell if the kernel
supports hw_random or whatever is required? Has anyone used this package and would it
I also found this dated Jan 2006: http://blogs.herod.net/steven/archives/category/
The solution is to:
1. download source version of subversion
2. Configure it to use /dev/urandom not /dev/random
3. make and then install
And it will work!
But I don't want to recompile as then I will have packages that are not updated.
Science Faculty, UTS
Ph: 9514 8232 Fx: 9514 1460