Re: [SLUG] Serious Printer Question -- Samsung CLP-550N

On Sunday 30 April 2006 12:19, jam@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sunday 30 April 2006 10:00, slug-request@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Have you looked at Brother, when i was doing my TCO calculations Brother
> > was also very cheap and they have very good Linux support.
> >
> > On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 18:55 +1000, telford@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > I'm thinking about buying one of these printers, they are available
> > > under $800 and they support Postscript and PCL5c as well as the
> > > undocumented (i.e. useless) Samsung Printer Language. They also have a
> > > rather low cost-per-page when you add up the consumable costs (note
> > > that the KYOCERA FS-C5020N has a lower cost per page but you have to
> > > print about 40000 pages to break even, when you consider the different
> > > up-front costs, I doubt I'll print that many).
>
> My mate bought a Brother. Nice in every respect except the inks in a colour
> page crack and flake off if the page is folded.
>
> ie print a colour A4. Fold it in 3 to mail. The inks along the folds flake
> off.
> Is this a generic problem, or a Brother one?

I'd say it is a Brother one as I have never encountered this problem with the
Samsung. The only problem I've encountered is printing on card stock where
the toner simply flakes off. This can be overcome by setting the paper to
"card".

I notice the Duplex unit is optional (extra cost) on the Brother whereas the
Samsung is built in which is an extra bonus I think.

--
Regards,

Graham Smith