Re: [SLUG] File deletion problem.

On Sunday 23 April 2006 15:01, Matthew Hannigan <mlh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 01:19:15PM +1000, Charles Myers wrote:
> > afaik, NTFS mounts as read only. You can only format the things.. (I
> > would love to be proven wrong on this :( as I have a couple ntfs drives
> > that need some work....)
>
> Yeah.  You can use the captive ntfs driver (i.e. windows ntfs
> drivr under linux), but then you would need to have a windows
> license .. so why not just use windows in the first place to
> delete it.

Captive is *slow* to write. On my system, it filled up my /var with error
logs.

From my understanding, the Linux NTFS driver can only write to files safely if
their size does not change. Otherwise, you risk file corruption.

If you frequently share files between Linux and Windows, you're better off
using a VFAT partition. Other options include having a separate server
running Samba or accessing ext2 filesystems from Windows using a tool like
explore2fs.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"You never sent me a response on the question of what things an app would do
that would make it run with MSDOS and not run DR-DOS. Is there any version
check or api they fail to have? Is there [a] feature they have that might get
in our way? I am not looking for something they cant get around.  I am
looking for something their current binary fails on."
		- Bill Gates, 1988-09-22