Re: [SLUG] kernel package management and third party modules

Peter Hardy wrote:

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 22:44 +1000, Richard Neal wrote:
On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 02:40 +1000, tuxta2 wrote:

Hmm, strange that there is a perception that Ubuntu doesn't handle nvidia drivers with kernel upgrades.
Not saying it does just saying when you do a kernel update it doesnt
simple check on the reboot to make sure the nvidia driver is
re-initiated for that kernel.

When the driver package and kernel package are so closely tied together
thanks to sensible dependency checking, you don't need an extra check
every time you reboot. It's simply a different (and in my opinion
neater) paradigm.

I have done many Ubuntu kernel upgrades with nvidia drivers installed, no problems at all.
All you need is the nvidia-glx package which does the rest.
Automatix and EasyUbuntu simply apt-get the nvidia-glx packages just as a user would do manually.
Mandriva has a nicer method, how about not having to download the nvidia
package again "ever" even with kernel updates and to be honest why the
hell would you unless the old driver package needs updating.

Um, the driver package needs updating every time the kernel package is
updated. There's just more than one way to do it. What you're really
arguing about boils down to a source-based package distribution with
packages being recompiled locally, vs a binary-based package
distribution.

There's advantages and disadvantages to each, and it's been done to
death both here and elsewhere, and it isn't something I find
particularly interesting, at least not before my morning coffee.

No need to install or even think about any scripts.
Mandriva doesnt install anything it re initiates the binary glob for the
new kernel on the next reboot thanks to the extra init script in the
startup. All your configs stay the same unless the whole things fails
because the last thing you want is a user sitting in front of a big
black screen and no graphical desktop.

The OP wasn't talking about you, but a normal newbie user who hasn't got
a clue about what you just said nor cares.

But if you insist, you seem to be saying that compiling a new driver on
the fly, against any Joe Random kernel image, is more reliable than
using prepackaged binaries that have been built and tested in
conjunction and are known to be good. I'm fairly sure that won't add up
even after I've had my coffee.

I don't want it to mess up my twinview setup or anything else for that matter. Maybe it would be easier if Mandriva simply had a package that you could urpmi the same as Ubuntu.
why urpmi anything when you already have the package installed from the
last kernel.

Because then you're using binaries that somebody who knows what they're
doing has built and tested. I really don't like the idea of requiring
our hypothetical clueless newbie user to install an entire gcc toolchain
just so they can risk breaking their X every time a kernel update is
released.

Wow, I had written out a reponse almost identical to this one, but in the end decided not to send it, basically because I just didn't want to get into the "my distro vs yours" topic. I had to look twice when I read this one, I thought I must have sent it by accident. Great minds think alike. scary actually.

But well said Peter

Tuxta