Re: [SLUG] Re: slug Digest, Vol 3, Issue 15

My experience with all o/s' is that you don't get the best out of the install process until you've done it a number of times, MS, RH, Debian, Ubuntu et al. :-)

For those interested, there's an interesting comparison been done this month in TUX www.tuxmagazine.com

they compare the following distros:

Debian/GNU Linux
Linspire
SuSE Linux 10.0
Fedora Core 5
Ubuntu/Kubuntu
MEPIS
Mandriva

John

On 4/5/06, Jeff Waugh <jdub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<quote who="jam@xxxxxxxxx">

> SuSE's everything-on-the-DVD, then online update suits me best.

You can also grab Ubuntu DVDs. :-) But, there are some things we just can't
distribute, and that pretty much covers all of the post-install stuff most
users have to do (Flash, MP3, DVD, Skype, etc).

> (naw, that's a bit harsh james, ubuntu is easier) but with 30 years unix
> and 12 years slackware, redhat my move to SuSE was much easier that my try
> of ubuntu and gentoo is just like the old days with internet not tape!

I think it *is* challenging to learn a new set of best practices when moving
from Red Hat (and related distros) to Debian (and related distros). But from
my experience in systems administration for business and telecommunications,
well worth it.

- Jeff

--
FISL 7.0: Porto Alegre, Brazil         http://fisl.softwarelivre.org/7.0/www/

  "If you want to start a debate on a subject, however, all that seems to
     be necessary is to involve perennial target Richard Gooch." - LWN