SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] rpm vs source install, backlevel version, any gotchas ?
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [SLUG] rpm vs source install, backlevel version, any gotchas ?
- From: "Voytek Eymont" <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:59:50 +1100 (EST)
- Reply-to: lists@xxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: SquirrelMail/1.5.1 [CVS]
I needed to install some additional PHP functionality on RH73,
as it is, the functionality is provided by package 'sablot'
as I couldn't find rpm for the required 'sablot' and 'expat' (pre-req);
I downloaded source and compiled both expat ver.2 and sablot 1.02
of course, as soon as 'make install' completed, I located required RPMs
the RPMs were slightly backlevel:
0.98 (source 1.02) and expat 1.95 (source 2)
so, now I've installed the RPM, PHP info reports sablotron 0.98 and expat
1.95, the required functionaly works, all is well;
so, essentially, I've installed source packages, followed by, bacllevel
should I be removing the source-installed sablotron and expat ?
or, don't worry, be happy, it works ?