Re: [SLUG] what colour car

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:05:07 +1100
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+slug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dean Hamstead wrote:
>
> > get a mac laptop.
> >
> > they work excellently and the airport extreme is now
> > working.
>
> My advice is not to get a Apple laptop. See:
>
>     http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2005/11/msg00251.html
>     http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2005/11/msg00269.html
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/07/msg00172.html
>
> YMMV.

I have an iBook G4 currently running Ubuntu 5.10. Everything works
except the Airport Extreme. Word is that this will also work under the
Dapper release.

As far as I know, it is ok under OSX, but I really like the Ubuntu
install better. Probably just a matter of familiarity. I was able to
install the software that I wanted but it never felt right.

I have been happy with it, but probably would not buy another one. No
reflection on the machine, but I don't need a laptop all that much and
so the Apple is somewhat overpriced for my needs.

Cheers,
Alan