Re: [SLUG] pentium M series

ashley maher wrote:

I've just completed an install on a laptop with the Intel Pentium M 770
chip.

TO my surprise Ubuntu chose to install the 386 series kernel. Wouldn't
the 586 kernel be "better suited" to the M series chip or is there
something I don't know about the M series requiring the more "generic"
kernel?

Hi Ashley

The Pentium M will run code compiled for the i686.

$ uname  --processor --hardware-platform --machine
i686 i686 i386

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 9
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
stepping        : 5
cpu MHz         : 1595.112
cache size      : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm pbe est tm2
bogomips        : 3192.65

The bogomips score is a tad misleading; it gives the Pentium 4 a
good run for its money.

Cheers,
Glen