SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Solaris vs Linux .. Nexenta??
- To: dll@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Solaris vs Linux .. Nexenta??
- From: Glen Turner <glen.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:38:56 +1030
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Organization: Australia's Academic & Research Network
- User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7-1.1.fc4 (X11/20050929)
If Linux is ever going to compete with MAC/Windows on a commercial level why not
have a hybrid GNOME/KDE/SOLARIS (UNIX) distro, and essentially take the best
qualities of each?
Why does Linux need to compete? That way lies stupidity like
OpenOffice copying the worst features of Microsoft Word's user
If you are a Linux distributor that decides you do want
to compete with Microsoft then why would you involve Sun?
Sun and Novell both had ample opportunity to compete with
Microsoft and fluffed it. What can they contribute? And
will that contribution bring with it the seeds of failure
of their previous attempts?
In practice the opposite to your question is happening.
Solaris is taking the best of the FOSS software in order
to remain competitive. In a supreme irony, so is SCO.