SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] I hate udev!
- To: Peter Rundle <prundle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] I hate udev!
- From: Glen Turner <glen.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 01:51:46 +1030
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Organization: Australia's Academic & Research Network <http://www.aarnet.edu.au/>
- User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7-1.1.fc4 (X11/20050929)
...Then my backup fails or worse the disk is completely full
because writing to /dev/nst0 when the device file doesn't exist creates
a data file on the disk which grows to be bigger than the /dev
That's a bug in the backup application. Group "disk" is
sufficient to do a backup (that's why the group exists).
If the backup utility doesn't work from raw partitions
and thus needs root to read from the filesystem then
it should be dropping privs before writing to /dev/st
(otherwise it's going to ignore the permission bits).
That's not a bug that mattered overly much until
dynamic device names. But almost all Unixen have
that now so the program needs fixing.