Re: ocaml vs python/ruby/perl etc. was [SLUG] Why not C

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:11:42AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 11:01 +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
>
> > So, you add a testsuite, and then there's a whole new set of bugs that crop
> > up that can't be effectively tested for in the "royal PITA" list.  LRR.
>
> Well, the only bugs I've found to date that cannot be effectively tested
> for are concurrent operation bugs - threads and co-processes
> specifically. State machine based pseduo concurrency however, gives
> extremely easy reproduction of a bug, once you identify it ;).
>
> What sorts of bugs are your PITA list ?

GUIs, concurrency, and graceful handling of major system faults (like
"database goes away in the middle of a transaction") are my three biggies.
I avoid them by not doing GUIs or major concurrency unless I can avoid them,
and just crossing my fingers that I'll never get an inconvenient database
crash.  Luckily, I don't do work in environments where such things are
critical, otherwise I'd be very much unhappier.

- Matt