Re: [SLUG] Partition - Updated

On Thursday 17 November 2005 08:55, slug-request@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> if you have up to 1GB of RAM usually you should use RAM*2 value for swap
> - over 1GB the same amount of swap space is enough.
But Why ??
I showed my (busy www, mail, openvpn server, php, dvd creation, mythtv, qt
development) server never uses swap with 1G ram. I've used 128M/256M (and
there are no free lunches so 384 total mem) for months doing software
development without any hastle, but you say, cause urban myth (first I saw
this was early RedHat) that 1G ram needs 2G swap IMHO utter rubbish.

> I don't agree with
> the idea of having only 10G for / - the nice example is when you use
> IMAP and mbox for users - the mails are stored in /var/spool (and a lot
> of other things) which can be really hudge. it really depends on what
> you are going to use box for
> many users just don't use their /homes but receive a hudge amount of mail.

Again, IMHO, a newby with lots of mailbox's ?? Many answers, including
sym-links, another disk for /var etc etc, but I don't believe that you are
doing the newby any favours.

So IMHO, ignore this well intentioned, but confusing unneccessary input,
Choose 10 (or 5) (or similar) root
256 (or similar) swap
rest home.

Do it a few times, have fun!
With 1 disc forget raid and lvm, they are not relevant.

James