Re: [SLUG] Laptop recommendations

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:52:43AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 09:59 +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > Robert Collins wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 22:42 +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > >
> > > Heres my Dell X1 against your specs
> >
> > I looked on the Dell site and I can't find the X1 anymore.
> >
> > Is that me or is that Dell?
>
> http://dellstore02.dell.com.au/public/cart/configurator.jsp?prd_id=421312&sr_no=1

Erik,

You may be interested that the X1 is a rebadged (repackaged?)
Samsung Q30, with added bluetooth. (Rob, correct me if I'm wrong)

I note that the Q30 now has bluetooth as well; ht.com.au have it
on their website. DickSmith also have it in their powerhouse stores
but don't advertise on their website for some reason.

I just (like an hour ago) bought a Samsung R50, which meets all
your specs, including full 6pin (i.e. powered) firewire and the
availability of a long life battery.  Memory is default 512mb but
expandable up to 2gb.

I haven't actually tested the sleep function; I've yet to install
Linux.  But I'm pretty hopeful.  Remind me to let you know.

It's ALSO got this cute thing called AVStation which is a pre-installed
linux (presumably on flash memory) to allows you to play dvd's, mp3 and do
picture slide shows without booting into XP (or any other OS).
Quick test shows that it works quite well!

Complete specs on the net.  But note there's a few variations.  e.g.
mine has ATI Radeon x600, but some have Intel video card.

Curious thing: apparently you cannot get Samsung laptops in the USA.
I was wondering if it's the presence of the libdvdcss code in the AVstation
software that could be a problem.  Although a quick google says it's because
they're under contract to HP and Dell.  Much less interesting explanation :-)

--
Matt