Re: [SLUG] debian python upgrage

Hi Peter,

Peter Miller wrote:

> OK, I give up.
>
> How the hell do I get my Debian install to upgrade from Python 2.3 to
> Python 2.4 ??

Debain will install the two in parallel.

> It seems to have both, but only uses 2.3, and won't use the 2.4 stuff to
> satisfy dependencies of other packages?!?

Thats correct. All the shipped Python packages require a particular version
of Python. At some later date a new set of packages will be shipped that
use the later version.

> I'm sure it's something very simple, but I can't figure what.

There's nothng you can do unless you want to rebuild all the packages
that use Python to use the new version.

This is all done for a reason; to make sure the packages remain working
even if the Python language changes slightly from release to release.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long
 plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men
 die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
   -- Hunter S. Thompson