Re: [SLUG] Samsung / Microsoft Hybrid drive

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 01:09:48PM +1000, Peter Faulks wrote:
> G'day all
>
> Old news I know, and I apologise if it has been discussed b4:
>
> http://www.samsung.com/us/Products/Semiconductor/USNews/Flash/Flash_20050425_0000116055.asp
>
> Is anyone other than me worried that MS might be doing with hardware what it did with Operating Systems? Will the driver be available to Open Source developers?

The drive /should/ look like any other drive.

I guess there might be settings to adjust the longevity
of data in the cache and percentage of the cache use for
read vs write etc...

Hmm (reads the article :-)

	"Samsung and Microsoft have worked together
	developing a robust set of ATA (advanced technology
	attachment) commands that will be used to fine-tune
	the efficiency with which HHD supportive software
	controls the Longhorn-based computer in which it
	is used."

Looks about write.

Matt