[SLUG] Problems with SCSI tape drive

G'day...

I've got a tape drive, when I issue it a command via mt, mt never exits
and the bash prompt is never returned.

(I have now started initialising it with stinit, not sure if this is a
necessary step or not but still no success.)

The SCSI bus is a LSI Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI.
The tape drive is a DDS3 drive - Seagate STD224000N (reported as ARCHIVE
Python 04106-XXX Rev 743B in dmesg - which is normal).

For example I push a tape in and then issue the command `mt eject`, the
tape ejects after a moment, but the mt program never exits. According to
ps it is in D mode i.e. waiting for IO. (Even though the tape drive
itself has completed.)

FWIW I'm using Fedora core 3 (problem is reproduceable under Kernels
2.6.11 and 2.6.9 (Should I try a lower versioned kernel perhaps?)

Any help, tips, references or pointers appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards,
Michael Kraus
Software Developer
mkraus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Direct Line 02 8306 0007

Wild Technology Pty Ltd , ABN 98 091 470 692
Sales - Ground Floor, 265/8 Lachlan Street, Waterloo NSW 2017
Admin - Level 4 Tiara, 306/9 Crystal Street, Waterloo NSW 2017
Telephone 1300-13-9453 |  Facsimile 1300-88-9453
http://www.wildtechnology.net
DISCLAIMER & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be confidential information and may also be the subject of client legal - legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited.   This email and any attachments are also subject to copyright.  No part of them may be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written permission of the copyright owner.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the message from your system.