Re: [SLUG] problem with wireless

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 10:44 +1000, David wrote:
> >From a fresh install of Ubuntu Hoary, specifying wireless for my net
> connection, wireless fails to connect. Signal is NOT a problem.

You should make sure that you have the required kernel module
in /etc/modules so that it is loaded at boot time.

I found that my Centrino 2100 (module: ipw2100) did not work with the
Ubuntu installer (no I forgot to file a bug :-(.

I manually set it up in /etc/network/interfaces like:

        iface eth1 inet dhcp
                creates eth1
                name Wireless LAN
                pre-up modprobe ipw2100 ifname=eth1
                pre-up iwconfig eth1 key [1] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                pre-up iwconfig eth1 key [2] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                pre-up iwconfig eth1 key [3] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                pre-up iwconfig eth1 key [4] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                pre-up iwconfig eth1 nick "name"
                pre-up iwconfig eth1 power off
                wireless_mode Managed
                wireless_nick name
                down modprobe -r ipw2100
                wireless-essid ESSIDNAME
                wireless-key open [2]

This is more the Debian way than the Ubuntu way I guess.

As long as you ensure that the module is loaded, it should show up in
the networking GUI OK.

HTH