SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] FC3 and VMWare
- To: Howard Lowndes <lannet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] FC3 and VMWare
- From: Steve Kowalik <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:16:10 +1000
- Cc: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- User-agent: Wanderlust/2.14.0 (Africa) XEmacs/21.4 (Jumbo Shrimp)
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:04:58 +1000, Howard Lowndes uttered
> This time the compilation provides the message:
> Unable to make a vmnet module that can be loaded in the running kernel:
> insmod: error inserting '/tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet.o': -1 Unknown symbol
> in module
> There is probably a slight difference in the kernel configuration
> between the
> set of C header files you specified and your running kernel. You may
> want to
> rebuild a kernel based on that directory, or specify another directory.
> Unfortunately the VMWare web site is not very forthcoming.
> Has anyone experienced this problem.
Yup! I saw it on Friday at w*rk. It seems to be a 2.6.11 problem,
because it struck me with Debian 2.6.11-5. However, I applied the
vmware-any-any-patch91 (Google for it), and it compiled and loaded
fine after that.
"I'm a doctor, not a doorstop"
- EMH, USS Enterprise