Re: [SLUG] Sharing partition 'tween Linux and Winders (for video editing)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:37:05 +1100
Elliott-Brennan <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I gather that formatting the shared partition as VFAT is an option, but
> that it may be too slow for my intentions.
>
> Has anyone any experience around this, or with ideas about the best way
> to manage what I'm wishing to do?

You'll be stuck with vfat or NTFS until Microsoft decides to add Unix filesystem
support in Windows (when hell freezes over).

NTFS is great under Linux unless you want to use it for anything useful, but
vfat works reasonably well for everything else.

Of course, there are a couple of Windows utilities for accessing data in Ext2/3
and Reiserfs filesystems:

YAReG: http://yareg.akucom.de/
Explore2fs: http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

The Reiserfs stuff is read only, but Explore2fs has write support (for ext2
only though).  Both have reasonable guis (although you'll have to download
Microsoft's .Net framework to get the YAReG going).

I'd just stick with VFAT - I haven't noticed too many problems with it when i've
used it for doing similar things to what you're looking for.

On a side note, OSnews ran a neat article about problems with vfat earlier this
month. Quite a good read:  http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9681

Lindsay

--
http://asymmetrics.net/~auxesis