Re: [SLUG] Nomination: Lindsay Holmwood

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:03:01 +1100
Craige McWhirter <craige@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Committee Member". Lindsay is full of youth, enthusiasm, has a good head

Too much youth, as it happens!

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:25:37 +1100
Chris Deigan <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ...but isn't 18 yet 'till later this year. :(
>
> I haven't looked at the constitution, but it'd be great to see him
> occupy the committee as an honourary member until he turns 18 and can
> legally be on the committee.

Quite a conundrum. I've read through the Associations Incorporation Act 1984
[1], and section 23 (3) (a) states that:

(3)  A person is not eligible to be appointed as public officer of an
incorporated association unless:

    (a)  the person has attained the age of 18 years

Obviously IANAL but this would seem to suggest that as much as I would like to
accept, I would be unable to legally assume the position if elected.

I'm more than willing to go along with what Chris has suggested, but it would be
up to the membership to decide what course of action is appropriate in this
situation.

Cheers,
Lindsay

[1] http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fullhtml/inforce/act+143+1984+FIRST+0+N