SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Wall-to-wall Windows
- To: David Guest <dguest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Wall-to-wall Windows
- From: O Plameras <oscarp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:23:23 +1100
- Cc: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>, GLUG <glug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 (X11/20041206)
David Guest wrote:
Is operating system vilification permited under the NSW
Really, someone should take the IT section of SMH to task over this
sort of crap.
I do not consider this vilification of Open Systems or Unix/Linux.
This is a classic case where the *3Ms* failed to mix successfully. The
1. *Men* - IT staff are short in understanding, experience,
comprehension, and training.
This is evident by the blame being directed only at Machines. No mention
of Men and
Management. It will be interesting to know what qualifications and
experiences do the
IT staff have.
2. *Machines* - Computer Hardware, Solaris, Unix, Linux, and Apps Software
totally relies on Men as to whether it will work as intended or fall
short of objectives.
We know Open Systems machines and software work but at this site it did not.
3. *Management* - Level of IT management skills available at this site
is certainly low.
Management structure and decision making processes, etc. will be curious
Just think about one of the problems: being unable to register a user
quickly. It is a basic
and rudimentary service in an installation. Management failure is what
this appears to