Re: [SLUG] FYI: Campaign of Mis-Information

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 03:02:47PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
>
> > This is probably better off on slug-chat, but given that you've raised it
> > here: What exactly is objectionable in these articles? They seem entirely
> > balanced, reasonable and well-informed to me. Quoting the big end of town
> > when writing an article about a controversial topic is not exactly
> > pandering to their desires.
>
> Summary of the couch potato article, by paragraph (media analysis is so much
> fun). I'm yet to find anything seriously objectionable. The article actually
> summarises our point of view on copyright issues very well, and right up
> front, which is unusual.

[snip]

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 04:24:20PM +1030, Glen Turner wrote:

> Except for
>
>    But in a connected, digital world, the threat to copyright
>    holders is far greater. Witness the downfall of the music
>    industry in recent years. (The Australian record industry
>    has lobbied against changing Australian copyright law).
>
> when the ARIA figures show no such thing.  The ARIA figures
> show a decline in value, but no decline in sales volume.

And the downfall of the music industry is largely their own doing
anyway.

Anand

PS: mainly added so that furture googlers can find this easily.

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux
April 18th to 23rd   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -       LINUX