Re: [SLUG] Re: Re: Copyright assignment + the GPL [Was: Streaming media servers]

<quote who="QuantumG">

> I think the real question is, what does the community gain by giving
> their copyright to RealNetworks?  A proprietary distribution?  That's
> hardly a plus.

You're making a general statement (that copyright assignment is bad), but
hanging on to a specific example [1]. Look at other projects that require
copyright assignment, such as Evolution, and see whether the points you make
apply equally.

- Jeff

[1] I'm not particularly interested in contributing to Helix for related
reasons (but not solely the issue of copyright assignment, which I believe
to be fair in most cases).

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

    "Not to mention that there's simply no way to explain what a 'window
   manager' is without descending into 'PC Load Letter?!' technobabble."
                             - Havoc Pennington