Re: [SLUG] Re: Re: Copyright assignment + the GPL [Was: Streaming media servers]

Matthew Palmer wrote:

Helix.  Which one do you want?  No, you can't answer option 1 because Real
isn't going to allow that.

Sorry, I think the correct answer is to fork Helix, implement all the features that people want. That way when people choose to use Helix because they want to stream some prorietary format that cannot be put in the community distribution they will have to make the decision to do without the work of the community, encouraging them not to use proprietary formats in the first place.

I think the real question is, what does the community gain by giving their copyright to RealNetworks? A proprietary distribution? That's hardly a plus.

Trent