Re: [SLUG] Streaming media servers

Jeff Waugh wrote:

If the project has a sane license, then you are contributing to the commons
in perpetuity (almost, let's not get too finicky), so regardless of the
fortunes of the company (who are most likely doing the majority share of the
development work - why shouldn't they have a good bottom line?), the code
will be Free.
I think this completely boils down to a BSD vs GPL question. The GPL and other copyleft licenses (like the RPSL claims to be) serve a purpose that the BSD does not and assigning your copyright to someone who then goes and uses it in a proprietary product weakens that.

Not that I have anything against the BSD. The project I have spent the most time on is under a BSD like license.

Trent