Re: [SLUG] aic7xxx scsi module

Peter Chubb wrote:

"Ashley" == Ashley Maher <slug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Ashley> Peter Chubb wrote:
What does lspci tell you?  Your module isn't finding the card.

Ashley> 00:0c.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7896U2/7897U2
Ashley> 00:0c.1 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7896U2/7897U2

This says you have *two* adaptec scsi controllers in your system.
When you boot, does the Adaptec BIOS tell you anything?  (You should
see something like, `Hit ^A for SCSIselect' then output of a scan of
what devices are on your SCSI bus, before Linux gets to boot).

What does dmesg tell you?

I'm afraid it's been a *very* long time since I've used a 2.4 system,
so there's limited info I can give you.
Thanks Peter,

A mate picked up the standard kernel had the aic module in it. Duh.

When I kicked this system up, I finally got a backup tape that wasn't had it.

So I checked the rc.local and found dpt_i2o then I remembered 4 years ago building this thing and that took me ages to find. How the hell you're supposed to know the aic7xxx module finds the card, but you need the dpt_i2o module to see it as a raid I cann't remember what I did 4 years ago, or if I hadn't access to my original rc.local what I would have done to find it agin.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Ashley
PS Posting to the list in teh hope it helps somebody else one day.