Re: [SLUG] Timezone and Daylight Savings Time

Christopher JS Vance wrote:

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 02:36:23PM +1100, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote:

S for Summer.  We don't do Daylight Time here.

Huh ? What do you mean "we don't do daylight time" here in NSW ?

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/crd.nsf/pages/time2

That page doesn't mention "daylight time" anywhere.  It talks
everywhere of "daylight saving", and doesn't give a name to the
timezone.

OK ... I finally see what your original statement meant.

Your proposed abbreviation for the timezone name didn't include an "S"
for the "saving" part of "daylight saving", either.

I've heard the timezone most frequently called "Summer time" around
here.

Understood ... but it just seems that it has been sort of "accepted" practice that there is a different abbrevation for standard vs. daylight savings time. For example, most sites use AEDT to describe "Australian Easter Daylight Savings Time", from abc.gov.au, defense.gov.au, abc.net.au ... etc.. ), including the following link:

http://www.ga.gov.au/nmd/geodesy/astro/sunrise.jsp

Furthermore, here is a link:

http://www.statoids.com/tau.html

.. and it says, under "Time zone names", that AEDT is the abbreviation