Re: [SLUG] Timezone and Daylight Savings Time

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 02:36:23PM +1100, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote:
S for Summer.  We don't do Daylight Time here.

Huh ? What do you mean "we don't do daylight time" here in NSW ?

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/crd.nsf/pages/time2

That page doesn't mention "daylight time" anywhere.  It talks
everywhere of "daylight saving", and doesn't give a name to the
timezone.

Your proposed abbreviation for the timezone name didn't include an "S"
for the "saving" part of "daylight saving", either.

I've heard the timezone most frequently called "Summer time" around
here.

I know that you can format the output of the date command.
What I was after was having the _default_ ( that is, no options ) output of date to display GMT offset instead of "EST".

The Unix standard was three characters for a time zone name.  POSIX
has increased the maximum number allowed to at least six, but it took
a while before more than three wouldn't break things.  POSIX does say
that the timezone name may not include digits, so you won't be
changing the default on any systems but your own.  Look for zic,
zdump, etc.  Or just recompile date.  Or make a wrapper script.

--
Christopher Vance