Re: [SLUG] Timezone and Daylight Savings Time

Christopher JS Vance wrote:

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:43:11PM +1100, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote:

When I run the 'date' command while we are in daylight savings time, it says:

Tue Feb  1 13:35:07 EST 2005

1) Why is it "EST" ? Shouldn't it be "EDT" or "AEDT" ?

S for Summer.  We don't do Daylight Time here.

Huh ? What do you mean "we don't do daylight time" here in NSW ?

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/crd.nsf/pages/time2

There are no "legal" or universal abbreviations for timezones in
Australia.  I've also seen EASST and EADT.  In some places, I think
it's also called L (or K in Queensland, right now...).

http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/au/edt.html

And someone in Norway knows something that Australian governments and
people don't?

2) Anyone know how to change the output of "date" so that it shows the GMT offset instead ?

Check the manual pages date(1) or strftime(3) if you have them.
Depends on your OS.

I know that you can format the output of the date command.
What I was after was having the _default_ ( that is, no options ) output of date to display GMT offset instead of "EST".