SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Maybe trying out gentoo again
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Maybe trying out gentoo again
- From: Jamie Wilkinson <jaq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:43:06 +1100
- Reply-by: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:25:21 +1000
- User-agent: Mutt/1.5.6+20040523i
This one time, at band camp, O Plameras wrote:
>Jeff Waugh wrote:
>>Apart from skipping the one-time module loading cost, zero-zip-nada. :-) It
>>is fair to say that a monolithic kernel is slightly less open to attack,
>>a modular kernel is only vulnerable (in the general case) when the attacker
>>has root privileges (which means, you're stuffed anyway).
>>Building your own kernel is yet more premature optimisation, although it
>>be necessary for all kinds of other reasons (new drivers, etc).
>Building Kernel is a requirement for Securing Servers.
So's chemiweld. You don't have to brew your own though.