SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Maybe trying out gentoo again
- To: Jeff Waugh <jdub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Maybe trying out gentoo again
- From: O Plameras <oscarp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 19:34:31 +1100
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 0.8 (X11/20040913)
Jeff Waugh wrote:
Apart from skipping the one-time module loading cost, zero-zip-nada. :-) It
is fair to say that a monolithic kernel is slightly less open to attack, but
a modular kernel is only vulnerable (in the general case) when the attacker
has root privileges (which means, you're stuffed anyway).
Building your own kernel is yet more premature optimisation, although it can
be necessary for all kinds of other reasons (new drivers, etc).
Building Kernel is a requirement for Securing Servers.