Re: [SLUG] Symlinks and PHP4

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:26:37PM +1000, O Plameras wrote:
> Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >Or, better still, use
> >ini_set('include_path', '.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/phpapp'); at the top
> >of
> >your entry point, and all will be well.  Fiddling with include_path in
> >php.ini shouldn't be done for one application -- imagine if I wanted to
> >include something that also happened to be in /usr/share/phpapp... A train
> >wreck could result.
> >
> Programmers have their styles. I follow PHP programming conventions
> that I know works and practised by many.

Just because lots of people do it doesn't make it any less retarded.  If
everyone stacks their own app's directory in php.ini, sooner or later you're
going to end up with filename collision.  Soon after that, someone is going
to take a header off a building.

Also, learning how to do things when you 0wn the box is nice, but one day
you're not going to be able to fiddle with php.ini on a whim, and an
inability to work effectively without having gratuitous r00t is not going to
win you any friends at any hosting company I've ever interacted with.

> >>include_path = "/path1;,/path2; etc.............."
> >>
> >>It will look like so,
> >>
> >>include_path = ".;/usr/share/phpapp"
> >>

> >Those should be colons, not semi-colons, unless you're running PHP in
> >windows, in which case you've got bigger problems (like not having real
> >symlinks).
>
> In /etc/php.ini the correct syntax is semi-colon ( ; ) and not colon (:).

Only if you want to comment something out.  Take a look at your php.ini file
sometime.  I'll even do it for you:

; UNIX: "/path1:/path2"  Windows: "\path1;\path2"
include_path = ".:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php"

Oh, and drop the Cc.  Of course I'm subscribed to the list, how else did I
reply to the original message?

- Matt

--
"You could wire up a dead rat to a DIMM socket and the PC BIOS memory test
would pass it just fine."