SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Netgear WG311 under Mandrake 10.0
- To: Kevin Saenz <ksaenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Netgear WG311 under Mandrake 10.0
- From: Glen Turner <glen.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:27:53 +0930
- Cc: Sydney Linux User Group <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Organization: Australian Academic and Research Network
On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 14:17, Kevin Saenz wrote:
> I think the problem is accepting strings, and I couldn't be stuffed
> getting it to work.
My setup is:
alias eth1 ndiswrapper
options ndiswrapper if_name=eth1
So setting the key manually would be:
# iwconfig eth1 key "s:abcdefg"
# iwconfig eth1 essid "aarnet"
I had more hassle with Fedora wanting names in the "eth[0-9]+" format
than anything else. The ndiswrapper driver uses setting the ESSID as a
commit point (as do a lot of wireless drivers), so you might need to
re-establish the ESSID for the changed WEP key to take effect.
I'm not sure if Mandrake uses the Red Hat sytle configuration. I have:
Although in reality I use a long random binary key so that the already
too small effective WEP keyspace isn't further reduced.
Setting the ESSID to something obvious is a good idea (eg: your street
address). Then there's no question about intent if someone attaches to
Glen Turner Tel: (08) 8303 3936 or +61 8 8303 3936
Australian Academic & Research Network www.aarnet.edu.au