Re: [SLUG] Fedora Font Server [Was: X11 Font?]

<quote who="Mike MacCana">

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> > <quote who="Rob Weir">
> >
> > > Fedora still uses a font server by default?  Why?
>
> So that workstations don't have to cache large amounts of fonts locally?
>
> Why wouldn't you want to use a font server? Am I missing something?

You got really bad quoting going on there. :-)

The reason why font servers are not very useful these days is because almost
all font rendering is done on the client side (thanks to freetype, RENDER,
Xft, etc). Very few modern programs use X core fonts, or server-side font
rendering at all anymore. As I said earlier in the thread, xfs is only there
because removing it provides no benefit, but would require lots of testing.

- Jeff

--
OSCON 2004: Portland OR, USA           http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

  "Anyway - I need something more James Bond than Banana Man, if you know
                       what I mean..." - Tom Gilbert