Re: [SLUG] Help with Samba on Webmin

You can use webmin to change the owner and group permissions.
In webmin go to the Other tab, File manager, find folder (on right hand window pane) and click on edit button.
Change in there. Does this help?
Ben

Matthew Tse wrote:

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time using Webmin to administer a box running Samba. The idea is for the client to use Webmin to fully administer the fileserver; from creating users to setting up share permissions, etc.

The problem I'm currently having is, using Webmin to create a share for Samba ends up with owner and group of the share directory set to root. This makes writing to the share in Windows not possible. I've gone through a lot of documentation on the web and haven't found anything which points out what I could be doing wrong.

Of course I'm open to other suggestions on what else could be used instead. I tried using SWAT but it doesn't create the actual directories when you create the shares for Samba so this requires a few extra steps which could make it complicated for the Windows user.

Ideally I'd like the client to avoid touching the Linux machine as much as possible. Making it easier than doing it on Windows is preferable.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew.