[SLUG] rebooting after power removal.

When power is unceremoniously removed from my RedHat
9.0/Linux 2.4 computer, during reboot, it runs a check
of the hard disc drive. Its messages indicate that it
has corrected all encountered errors, however upon
completion it always reports that it had failed, then
drops into a shell waiting for me to do god-knows-what,
then reboot the machine by typing Control-D.

It then behaves properly as far as I have been able to
tell.

My other computers, with earlier Linux releases have
not behaved in this way when rebooting after loss of
power.

Is this a configuration option, or is it complaining
that there is something wrong?

Thanks,
Greg Wood.