Re: [SLUG] Which open source license is best

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 11:08:17AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:

> From my understanding, there can only be one copyright holder over a
> specific creative work.  When two or more entities both claim copyright
> over a work, they're actually claiming rights over different parts of the
> work.  Identifying whose parts are whose isn't always possible, but that's
> not an issue in the case under discussion.

This isn't true -- copyright law allows for joint ownership of copyright for
a work, i.e. both owners have full rights to copy the work under any licence
conditions they wish, independently of each other.

OpenOffice.org appears to exactly this arrangement for its contributions:
see the FAQ entries about their Joint Copyright Assignment at
http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html#jca1

-Andrew.