[SLUG] CUPS - roll-back to earlier version [Debian]

Attention Debian Guru's,

I did a bad, bad thing.  This lappy is running Debian Unstable (Sarge)
and it got it's monthly "apt-get dist-upgrade" today.  I noticed a few
packages were held back and decided I'd attempt a "manual" update on
those after the 113 packages were upgraded (mostly XFree86 stuff).

So here I go with removal of the held back stuff:
#apt-get remove cupsys cupsys-client gs-esp libcupsimage2 \
~                libcupsys-dev pciutils

So far so good - everything gone.  Now reinstall it all....
#apt-get install cupsys cupsys-client gs-esp libcupsimage2 \
~                 libcupsys-dev pciutils

pciutils went OK but I now have hosed CUPS and I'm unable to re-install!
~ Ooops.  How the heck to I roll back to the previous (working) version???

Here's the details about what apt thinks:

# apt-get install cupsys
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

~  cupsys: Depends: libcupsimage2 (>= 1.1.19final-1) but it is not going
~                   to be installed
~          Depends: libcupsys2-gnutls10 (>= 1.1.20final-1) but it is not
~                   going to be installed
~          Depends: libcupsys2-gnutls10 (= 1.1.20final+cvs20040330-4) but
~                   it is not going to be installed
~          Depends: gs-esp but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Oh dear :(  I've tried including the stable repositories then using:
apt-get -t stable cupsys = same result.
apt-get -t woody cupsys  = same result.

On a side note - why are the dependencies referring to different
versions of "libcupsys2-gnutls10"??  If I try to install just
"libcupsys2-gnutls10" the dependency matrix means that all my
KDE+XFree86 stuff is also hosed (WTF?).  Any ideas??

Cheers,

James