Re: [SLUG] transparent smtp proxy?

On Sun, May 30, 2004, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> Why wouldn't postfix work with a firewall tweak and permit_mynetworks?

I assume Jamie means a iptables rule along the lines of the redirection
one here:

http://netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/NAT-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2

If so, I agree that it should work. SMTP isn't as complex as HTTP, IIRC
clients behave exactly the same way whether they're talking to the end
server or an intermediate relay, so you should just be able to silently
reroute all outgoing packets for port 25 to the mail server's port 25
and the clients will be none the wiser.

-Mary