Re: [SLUG] revisiting a hot topic (accounting systems)

Quoting Dave <dave_slug@xxxxxxxx>:

On a scale of 0 - 10,I rate this software to be 9 as
bookeeping and financial tool.

Being double entry is a plus and helps with operational
and financial accuracy.

A word of extreme caution: Security wise I rate this
software 1 on a scale of 0 - 10. For current users of
this software you will notice that username and
password are displayed as plain text (encryted version)
 on the http address and bottom panel. Defeats the purpose
of having user logging with password to secure the
application. I will never use as multi-user financial
tool as it is. This is a critical problem with this
package. It can be fixed of course.

Hi all,

I use sql-ledger as well. http://www.sql-ledger.com/

It does GST and PST for Canada eh! But probably can be used for
Australian GST without too much trouble.

It should be able to apply on the same invoice taxable and non-taxable
items/services. Each part or service you setup you can specify if it is
taxable.

--
Dave Peters

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 05:06:52PM +1000, David wrote:

On Sun, 9 May 2004, Hugh Madden wrote:

> Hi all,
> I realise this thread was done to death a few years back.
>
> Anyway, perhaps the situation has improved.
>
> I resent having to purchase myob or quicken and vmware simply to keep
> track of my finances.
>
> I'm wondering how to go about:
> BAS/STS/depreciating assets
>
> GNU Cash looks pretty awful in respect to GST.

I've been using SQL-Ledger now for two years (two tax returns). It does
the basic double entry accounting perfectly. It's a very active open
source project with new releases coming all the time.

It does GST very well - albeit with some problems relating to single
invoices with mixed taxable/non-taxable items. I get around that without
too much hassle, and in any case it's not all that common a situation.

It doesn't do depreciation. That's something your accountant does (or
yourself if you are smart enough).

I highly recommend it. It's not perfect, but it's very good, bug-free and
improving constantly. It's better than MYOB (which i used previously) and
even if you pay for the support it's cheaper. It's written in
Perl/Postgres. I believe you can even run it on Windows, so you can keep
you vmware going if you wish ;-)