SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] anti virus tool
- To: Sydney Linux User Group <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] anti virus tool
- From: John Clarke <johnc+slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:51:16 +1100
- User-agent: Mutt/184.108.40.206i
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 01:45:53 +1100, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> ><quote who="John Clarke">
> >> Why not just run freshclam regularly via cron? It first checks the md5
> >> sums of the two databse files, and only downloads updates if the md5 sum
> >> has changed. Each md5 sum request is only around 300 bytes, so it won't
> >> blow out your bandwidth bill :-)
> >300 bytes < notification email. The man speaks wisdom.
> 300 bytes * cron runs between notification emails vs. size of
> notification email...
Here was I feeling honoured to receive praise from Jeff for the second
time in a week or so, and you have to spoil it by pointing out that he
got it wrong. Thanks.
GPG key id: 0xD59C360F