Re: [SLUG] detaching files over ssh from mail: pine ?

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 00:38, Patrick Lesslie wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:38:29PM +1100, Craig Ayliffe wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 voytek@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > the mail is in /Maildir structire
> > >
> > > if I recall, pine was suggested as what I could use ?
> > >
> > > I don't seem to be able to access the actual /Maildir:

pine doesn't 'do' maildir. It's intended to be used with an imap server
(uw-imap is what they recommend). If you want to get to your maildirs,
another option (assuming you don't want to change mail clients) is to
run courier-imap or dovecot or something on your server and configure
pine to get your mail out of imap. I'd recommend not using mbox, Maildir
is a lot faster. If you were crazy, you could theoretically index an
mbox to go as fast as Maildir, but since that code is already in your
filesystem, no-one has bothered, and I don't blame them.

> Some of the advantages of mutt (to which jeff alluded earlier),

> * you can set the editor to vim

you can do that with pine as well.

> * you can just make a big .muttrc and you are set

Pine also has this notion of "configuration files". They're somewhat
ubiquitous these days.

> * Maildir and procmail work well together procmail

That's completely orthogonal.

[...]

Pine is less powerful than mutt, but it's also less complicated (and
zealots reliably inform me that mutt is more better in many other ways).
I quite like pine, used it all through my university days.

Anyway, this is not answering the original question. I can only suggest
installing an imap server so you can get pine to read your maildirs.

HTH,

James.