Re: [SLUG] detaching files over ssh from mail: pine ?

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 00:38, Patrick Lesslie wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:38:29PM +1100, Craig Ayliffe wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 voytek@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > the mail is in /Maildir structire
> > >
> > > if I recall, pine was suggested as what I could use ?
> > >
> > > I don't seem to be able to access the actual /Maildir:

pine doesn't 'do' maildir. It's intended to be used with an imap server
(uw-imap is what they recommend). If you want to get to your maildirs,
another option (assuming you don't want to change mail clients) is to
run courier-imap or dovecot or something on your server and configure
pine to get your mail out of imap. I'd recommend not using mbox, Maildir
is a lot faster. If you were crazy, you could theoretically index an
mbox to go as fast as Maildir, but since that code is already in your
filesystem, no-one has bothered, and I don't blame them.

> Some of the advantages of mutt (to which jeff alluded earlier),

> * you can set the editor to vim

you can do that with pine as well.

> * you can just make a big .muttrc and you are set

Pine also has this notion of "configuration files". They're somewhat
ubiquitous these days.

> * Maildir and procmail work well together procmail

That's completely orthogonal.

Pine is less powerful than mutt, but it's also less complicated (and
zealots reliably inform me that mutt is more better in many other ways).
I quite like pine, used it all through my university days.

Anyway, this is not answering the original question. I can only suggest
installing an imap server so you can get pine to read your maildirs.